Scripture Union Victoria
455 Springfield Rd
Mitcham VIC 3132
Ph: (03) 9482 5700
Join a Missional Communities Team
If you’ve already joined a team then you can update your application here
How can God use you in His mission?
Each year, more than 600 volunteers serve in 27 teams across Victoria. On an SU Mission, volunteers will learn new skills and grow in personal leadership. We live in community, and share the love and message of Jesus in creative and relevant ways through our relationships, conversations and in program activities.
SU Missions are an affordable and accessible way to experience a short term mission in your own backyard. You don’t even need a passport or an expensive airfare! Costs vary according to locations, but are approximately $250 including meals, accommodation, program and team costs. SUFMs and Theos are held between Christmas and mid January, and last between 7 and 14 days. Most of the missions are in holiday locations across the coast; some are in country and urban locations. Teams live in community in a caravan park or a local church hall.
Mission doesn’t end when we go home – we keep in contact with the friends we make.
Thinking about joining a mission team? Watch this!
Expectations of SU Missions Volunteers
People applying to be on a team need to:
- have an active Christian faith
- agree with SU’s aims and beliefs
- be committed to sharing the gospel with children, young people and families
- be willing to attend all training events
- be willing to operate in a team, and serve team members.
How do I join?
- Be 16 years or older – young and older adults are needed including families,
- Complete an application form here
- Have two referees – including your church leader who knows you well
- Apply for or have a current Working With Children Check if you are 18 years or older, and have SU listed as an organisation (click here to update your details or add SU as an organisation)
Each team has planning and training meetings throughout the year. There is also a compulsory team training weekend usually held at the mission location at the end of November / start of December.
All volunteers are required to attend our State Training Day Torque. Each year this day includes more than 45 workshops to equip you for mission with children, young people and families in our secular culture.
If you’ve been invited to apply for the role of a director you can fill out your application form here.